Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Observations about Rio and the life of a Carioca.

Hi all,

I'm here at PUC and loving Rio more and more. also, my homestay lady isnt so bad anymore, she seems to have chilled out, but I am still slowly looking at apartments. Nonetheless, my living situation is going well now.

Last night I caught my first episode of a telenovela called Paginas da Vida (pages of life). I actually missed the first episode, but last night was the second one and I was able to understand most of what was going on. At first, I didnt really get what was so interesting about it, but by the end it was FANTASTIC. i'm so hooked. from 9-10 monday-saturday for the rest of my time here, dont talk to me.
ALSO: i forgot to mention that the author of the novela lives in my neighborhood leblon, and they have been shooting various scenes for it here in Leblon! now i have to continue watching so I see my area on TV!

Observations about Rio:
-it is cheaper to be a woman than a student when paying for the entrance fee to a club.
-people here like to go to clubs with live samba music more than djs, it's fantistic. (i went to this great live samba club in an area called lapa, and it exists in an old democrats club building. It was called Democraticus. sooo neat.)
-people LOVE dogs here, especially in tshirts. as do I.
-alcohol is cheaper than school supplies
-if someone is standing in your way, no matter how many times you say excuse me, they wont move. you just need to push kindly.
I cant think of anything else at the moment. but i will continually add to that list.

Classes here are going well. generally they start at 1:30 until 3 and then 3:30 until 5. then once in a while we have a culture class from 11-12:30. these classes that i am talking about arent the regular puc classes. these are just portuguese classes that I am taking for 3 weeks, to bring me up to speed on portuguese for the school year starting in august. im not sure what those classes will be like yet.

tomorrow my class is going to the Museu de Beles Artes which should be fun and interesting. every thursday we go out on a passeio which is like a field trip, so thats very exciting.

this weekend on saturday, I am going to Petropolis with my group. i heard its a really neat place. then, on sunday i might meet up with a stanford friend who is here until to the end of july and go to the beach. I HAVENT been to the beach yet. i must go this weekend!

I think that brings you all up to speed on everything.

happy summer (or winter here, which is like a california summer!)

<3

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Your observations are very insightful. Especially the one about alcohol. That's really deep.

Tee hee. *Heart*

Hannah said...

haha. but most importantly, its true.

a spiral notebook is like r$8-10

a good drink is like R$4-6

cleary, its cheaper to drink than to study.


jjjjkkkkkkkkk...


<3