Saturday, July 15, 2006

Ipanema & Lapa!

Today was the first time I went to the Beach in Brasil. It was quite an experience.

I went to the beach at Ipanema. So, most people lay on sarong like fabrics instead of towels. And, if you dont have one, dont worry because people will be walking by and selling them. The beach is FULL of vendors. people sell everything from earings, to ice cream, to barbecued cheese to mate tea. These vendors are never-ending, and it is never quiet because they are always hocking their wares and goods. But it's fun because you can always grab a snack and it's just part of the culture down here.

It got a tad windy today, but I will definitely be going to the beach more in the future. It is SO close to my house that I really have to start taking advantage of it more.

But, one of the best places I have been to so far in Rio is an area called Lapa. It's Rio's new booming night life area.

On Thursday night we went to this amazing place called Rio Scenarium. Its an old factory, turned into an Antiques store mansion which is a dance club at night. They have a live music band and tons of fantastic dancers go there to show off their stuff. It was a bit expensive compared to other places, but definitely a gorgeous place with a great atmosphere.

Then, last night we all planned on going to Lapa, but we didnt know which club we were going to go to. (we took the metro bus and metro which are incredibly cheap, safe and efficient). as we were walking, we stumbled upon this thing. i dont know what you would call it, perhaps a food and drink fair. it had lots of bbq things, lots of meat on a stick and what not. also, amazing drinks. fresh caipirinhas, normal drinks and also these things called caipifrutis where you pick a fruit and blend it up, kind of like a smoothie. later, some people told us there was stuff going on a few streets down, and low and behold we walked down these quiet streets and all of a sudden we come across a HUGE live samba concert. it was a packed block party and really fun and crazy.

the night life here so far has proved to be pretty spectacular. when i come home at night, even if it is late, my street and neighborhood is still totally awake.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, my lady at my apartment has almost entirely chilled out. she's sweet and doesnt mind me coming in late and doesnt wake up or anything. At this point in time, I dont really see myself moving out, because it seems like a lot of work and responsibilty. Also,I definitely couldn't pay what I am paying now to live in the same neighborhood in my own apartment.

alright, I think those are all of my stories up to date.

Petropolis tomorrow.

Tchau

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holaaaa hanny!!!!! =) how r u????
q bkn q ya estas en riooooo!!! =)=)
Oye dime cuando te vas a salvador de bahia... pq tal vez te pueda ir a ver =)
i love u!!!!!!!
besitos,
cata

stacey323 said...

i haven't read the post yet. but i found this myspace profile. and i kind of had to take a double-take. it's like... you... except somalian and with a different spelling of your name.

http://www.myspace.com/anameen

look at the pictures. and some of the movies and tv. how could one not think of you?