Monday, November 06, 2006

THE CRAZY WEEKEND IN RIO POST!

THE CRAZY WEEKEND IN RIO POST!


OK! Two weekends ago I had a crazy weekend, which deserves a post! On the Friday of that weekend I went a costume party with my Brazilian friend Bianca and a bunch of her friends. The party was at a rented out mansion in the neighborhood of São Conrado. It was in the hills and there was a view of the beach and I saw an amazing sunrise in the morning. I didn’t have anything to wear as a costume, and Halloween isn’t really celebrated in Brazil. But, some people still have Halloween parties and I was able to find a party store in ipanema that sold Halloween decorations and accessories, so I got myself a pair of devil horns and a red kids cape for a whopping $9. Bi was dressed up as a good witch, but she looked more like a princess to me. The party was really fun because it was outdoors but covered, so it wasn’t hot. There was an open bar, a DJ, and then this famous MC in Rio named Mr. Catra performed at about 3:00 or 4:00am. It was so fun to dance, talk and meet people, especially because I associated everyone with the costume they are wearing. I ended up staying until the party was over so I got to see an amazing sunrise, and then took a cab home and slept till the afternoon.

Here are pics from the night:

Bianca showin how one can drink three cups of beer at once!

A Shot of the party

Me at the party

Another party shot

More party

Sunrise @ the party!

Sunrise over the ocean

Bi and I

Bi, her friends and I at the party

After sleeping during that afternoon, I woke up and went to the gym. Then I went to meet the girls in Copa for dinner. From there we decided to go see a samba school practice its carnival routine. We decided to go to see the Mangueira samba school. I guess the way it works, though I’m not 100% certain, is that almost every weekend leading up to carnival they practice their complete routine over and over with all the dancers, musicians and singers. The entire thing is open to the public for R$20, which I think is how they raise a ton of the money for the school since the whole production costs a lot of money and mangueria is a favela so its expensive to put on, and for people to buy their costumes. Also, it’s not like a show—you don’t sit and watch anything. It’s like a huge party where everyone is dancing samba and singing and drinking. It was so fun and such a neat experience. If I have time I may try to go to another samba school before I leave, but who knows, time is going by so fast. Also, Mangueira’s colors are pink and green, which I love!!

Pics from Saturday Night:

Inside the Mangueria Samba School

Courtney and Elena at the Samba School

Mangueira Banner

Us at the Samba School

The singers who sing the sang song over and over


More Mangueira

More Singing

More mangueira

The singers, up close and personal…or not! haha

The bateria (drum/musician section)

After that great Saturday, I caught up on sleep and then I headed over to Copa once again to meet the girls to go to Maracana for a soccer game! The teams playing were Botafogo, and São Caetano, a non-Rio team. The game was so fun and the tickets to go are CHEAP! Maracana is Brazil’s biggest/most well known soccer stadium. It’s huge colorful but you really get the essence of it when its full! On Thursday of this same week, we were all so in love with the soccer going experience we went to a game with two Rio teams, Flamengo and Vasco de Gama and when there are two Rio teams competing, the place FILLS up. The whole place is crazy with cheers and chants going back and forth, people with sparklers, people throwing cups of beer, everything you can imagine! I actually think going to Maracana and soccer games is one of my favorite things to do in Brasil, and hopefully I’ll have the chance to go once more before I have to leave! It’s so much fun going because it really reflects the true Brazilian mindset. Everyone is at the games, men, women, and children, young and old. The funniest is when you see a little 5 year old cursing his brains out because his team got scored on. But all in all, a fantastic experience!!!!



Court and Cali sleepin on the metro!

The botafogo fans brining out the banner!

The field

The fans

The field

The Stadium

Maracana

Stadium

Court and I

People lighting sparklers for fogo!


YAY! So that’s a complete entry describing that crazy rio weekend!

Next post: CRAZY BUZIOS WEEKEND!!!

2 comments:

stacey323 said...

your hair looks so short. AM I REMEMBERING IT WRONG?!? i love you i miss you. i am supposed to be writing a paper. fuckkkkkkk.

stacey323 said...

i don't give a shit if i already posted in here 3 minutes ago. i realized today how absolutely horrible i have been in keeping up with your blog. but i do love that it's still there for me when i need it. and the pictures are awesome. yay! i am really supposed to be writing a paper right now.

and p.s. hi chris. i was going to leave you a facebook message. but that's too much work. this is so much easier.

<3
-s